Basil has a spicy taste with a sweet aroma. It is mainly used in Italian cuisine and with tomato dishes.
Basil is delicious on a skewer together with a piece of (buffalo) mozzarella and tomato. You can also use basil like this:
- Use it with raw vegetables, white beans, zucchini, tomato, orange and / or strawberries.
- Add it to vegetable soup, tomato sauces and soups.
- In pasta sauces, for example with mushrooms and light dairy spread.
- In pesto.
- Delicious in a citrus fruit salad.
- On a sandwich with light dairy spread with horseradish and strawberries.
- As a garnish with various savory and sweet dishes.
- Basil infusion (tea) is good for digestion and relieves intestinal cramps
- Basil extract relieves ulcers and inflammation in the mouth
- Relieves migraines, headaches and nausea during pregnancy
- Chronic nasal cavity and nasal mucosa inflammation
- Bladder problems
Basil (Ocimum basilicum)
Basil is best stored in a tightly closed (glass) jar. The kitchen cupboard is a great dark storage place for your kitchen herbs.